Google ‘(Not Provided)’ Keywords: Work Around to Get Organic Search Data

(Not Provided) huh?

Are you concerned with the “(not provided)” issue in Google Analytics? You’re not alone. While this has been increasing in frequency for some time, September 23. Google switched gears and made all Google searches secure, regardless of whether a searcher was logged into a Google account or not.

What does this mean? As of September 23 2013, organic analytical data is no longer exists for Google traffic, and many web professionals are seeing 95% of keywords being reported as “(not provided)”, and the other 5 percent coming from non-Google searches.

Locating Organic Keywords Data

A work around for web professionals looking for a way to find those organic results might find some relief knowing WebMaster Tools still records organic keyword data.

Why Does it Matter?

When optimizing your website, a well known strategic move is comparing incoming organic keyword results with in page content and making adjustments according to frequency in which users find your data and what specific keywords are generating the most hits.  For instance, you created a page for foo widgets, of you were receiving hits for fi widgets and wanted to drill down your hits specifically for foo widgets, you would include these keywords in your content and measure the frequency of your hits against your (logged) incoming keywords.

Good News!

There is still a way to find those lost incoming keywords using Google Webmaster Tools.  Here are a few easy tips to finding those incoming keywords.

GT-install-GA

1. First you’ll have to create a Webmaster Tools account by running through the usual sign-up email verification process.

2. Head over to the Webmaster Tools Dashboard then click “Add A Site.”

WMT2

3. Use the (Recommended) verification process.  Google will provide you with a verification file that you must upload to the root directory on your server.  Ie: public_html/yourgooglefile  Once the file has been uploaded, click “Verify.”

verify

3. If all goes well, you should see something like this.

verfied

4.  Go back to your dashboard and click “home” where you will see your verified site.

5. Click your site’s URL

6. Click “Search Queries”

serach-quiries

7. Here are your organic keywords!

keywords

 

In summary, as of October 12th, 2013 you can still obtain information on specific organic keywords data for your site, you just have to jump through a few more hoops.

If you found this useful or have any suggestions pertaining to tracking organic keywords data in Google, please let me know.

 

 

About Denny Smith

Specializing in HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, WordPress, Expression Engine, SEO Strategies and Responsive Web Development, I build intuitive webs that demand results.
I'm not as mean as I look...
Posted in SEO, TipsTagged , , , ,

« « Previous Page Retrofitting Your Site to Repsponsive Grid   |   Next PageWhy get a professional headshot? » »
Support